After reading Steven Ng’s post of the best and worst of 2017, I thought I would add my picks for the best and worst of 2017.
The worst, in no particular order:
- The Doomsday Clock timeline has been set at to 2 1/2 minutes. Here is an excerpt from Bulletin of Atomic Scientists: “The probability of global catastrophe is very high, and the actions needed to reduce the risks of disaster must be taken very soon. In 2017, we find the danger to be even greater, the need for action more urgent. It is two and a half minutes to midnight, the Clock is ticking, global danger looms.” Sad!
- Deadly Mass Shootings continue. A gunman killed 58 people and injured more than 500 at a concert in Las Vegas. The shooting renewed the gun control debate, specifically the use of bump stocks. These devices turn a regular firearm into an automatic weapon.
- Mother Nature causes destruction in the Caribbean and the southern US. Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, Jose, and Maria left many dead and others cut off from food, water, and electricity.
And the best, in no particular order:
- #MeToo movement denouncing sexual assault and harassment. The open discussion by women about their experiences of misogynistic behavior has helped to define what is acceptable behavior towards women in society and in the business world.
- Advancements in Machine learning. We don’t think about this one every day but it’s impacting the way we do things. For example, how we shop, our cybersecurity, our health, and tracking the spam in our inboxes are all affected by machines teaching other machines algorithms that are based on tons of data that we create from the internet and our phones.
- I agree with Steven on his last point about a rebirth of the sports scene in Toronto. The event I enjoyed watching most was the Toronto FC capturing the 2017 MLS Championship. The playoffs and finals were very similar to the previous year but this year would be different with the TFC winning the cup at home.
Other articles by this author:
- Track Automated ETL Jobs in Pentaho
- How to Send Reports to a Slack Channel
- Enterprise Business Intelligence Can Be Hard
- Backing Up and Restoring WordPress Sites – OVH
- Install Multiple WordPress Sites on a Single Host
Please follow and like us: